Saturday, May 11, 2013

Part 1. The Adventure begins.

After months of waiting, the time has come for me to say goodbye to The United States of America. The concept of the U.S.A is difficult to articulate. Some would say that it involves the freedom to punch out commies. Others believe in manifest destiny and gun rights. I'll leave the particulars for you to sort out, but I believe America can be represented as an image.

... Beautiful

A long night of saying farewell to friends and loved ones ended well. And after a quick jaunt to the Airport I was flying across the globe.

One of the friends I'll miss the most

I boarded the plane and sat in my seat. It had finally kicked in. I realized that I was going to a foreign country without any friends or family. I'd have no place to live, no ability to communicate with the locals, and I would stick out like some kind of 6 foot tall white guy surrounded by short Asian people. 
Fortunately, these feelings didn't last long as I grew overwhelmed by boredom. The entertainment station had "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" on it, so I watched that. Little did I know, I would identify completely with Bilbo Baggins. The following scene in particular.


Seeing young, sheltered Bilbo being so excited brought a single tear to my eye. I placed my hand on the screen, and muttered under my breath "I'm going on an adventure too, Bilbo. An adventure..." The rest of the trip was rather uneventful besides the fact that they had Japanese food for every meal, and they were playing the entire first 2 seasons of Game of Thrones on the plane.(!) Then I arrived in Thailand.

Bonus picture of George Washington punching out a gorilla while holding The Declaration of Independence


No comments:

Post a Comment