Saturday, September 21, 2013

Part 6: How to Gain Weight in Thailand


Well, it's been a long, long time since I've updated my blog. I wish I could come up with a good reason, but drinking Thai beer and playing video games aren't really good reasons. I'll try to update you on these past 3 months, but the updates will come in increments, because quite a few things have happened.

One of the most important aspects of my life is, of course, eating tons of food. I figured I'd share a bit about the delicious food I get to eat over here. First of all, I found that you can buy sushi for 5 baht a piece here. That's right, a mere 16 cents per piece. That means this delicious sushi feast below was less than 2 bucks. I totally freaked out when I learned about this and ate sushi at every opportunity.
It looks better when I haven't accidentally smushed it
 This may sound weird, but after a month I actually got tired of eating sushi. I know, I didn't think it could happen either.

An odd food that I eat here is some type of egg. They are sold with three eggs on a skewer, but they still have the shells on them. Below are pictures of them un-peeled and peeled.


When you open them up, they are uniform. There is no yolk, there is no white, but there is a spice inside. It is somehow scrambled, put on a skewer and cooked all without leaving the shell. I have no idea how this is possible without it spilling, but if you can think of a way, please let me know.

The next dish is TOTALLY AWESOME. It's exactly what I've always wanted to have, but could never get. What is this wonderful dish, you ask? A delicious fried bacon steak. Imagine that the bacon you buy at the store is not pre-sliced, but instead is one thick hunk of bacony meat. Then imagine that this huge piece of meat is fried in its own juices. The result is a big, greasy, savory, pulmonary embolism bacon steak.
It'll kill you, but you'll die happy.
Next is a picture of what I eat for lunch every day at school. It looks pretty, and it tastes even... prettier.

Photo enlarged to show texture
It has chicken, pork, fish, won-tons, vegetables, an egg, noodles and a bunch of other stuff. This wonderful thing is called "tom yum". Now, I'm not totally sure what tom yum is. The Thais seem to call every type of soup tom yum, and you can't get anything more specific out of them. So the soup above is specifically named Tom Yum, but a soup that shares no ingredients with it will also be called tom yum. It's confusing and disappointing because I want THIS tom yum. I know the word tom translates to "soup", and I am just assuming that yum translates to "yum". So it's uhh.... yummy soup.


Unfortunately, all is not well in Thai food. Yes, most of the food is good, but there are certain foods that are abominations of nature. Equivalent to spitting in the face of God. Below is an example of such a monstrosity.


Graphic Content
 I do not understand the Thai fascination with hot dogs, but they LOVE THOSE THINGS. By the way... the white sauce is sweet. BLARGH.

Now for some random photos!


I feel like Thai people are missing the point of Guitar Hero. The... guitar.
Took a bus ride. Kept reaming my head on those damn fans.


When regular pussy just won't do.

The gym at my school: 1 pec deck, 1 punching bag.





No comments:

Post a Comment